April 17, 2018 — last updated April 11, 2022
Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos are a a healthier, baked version of everyones fried favorite. Crockpot Mexican shredded chicken and cheese are rolled into tortillas, then baked until crispy. Don’t forget the salsa. I have a delicious grilled salsa verde recipe for dipping.
Cinco de Mayo is approaching and these taquitos (flautas) are so easy to make they are perfect for serving a crowd. Lay out a large platter with salsas, guacamole and some sides (suggestions below including a delicious margarita recipe) and let your guests go to town.
Traditional fried taquitos are made using corn tortillas. I have tried many times to make these with corn tortillas and as soon as they hit the warm oven, they break open. If you fry them they are fine because the oil moistens the tortilla, but dries out in the oven.
The taquitos come together in minutes. The longest part of this recipe was making the Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken filling because I cooked it my crockpot and let me tell you, it is worth it. It is also even easier to make as there are only 2 ingredients (plus spices).
The shredded chicken is a recipe that can be made at the beginning of the week and kept in the fridge so you can be ready well ahead of your Mexican fiesta celebrations.
The key to being an efficient taquito maker is having an assembly line. Have your tortillas in a pile with your fillings either side, then you fill and roll, fill and roll. Once you have them rolled, brush them with oil to help them brown, line them up on a racked baking sheet and they are ready for the oven.
Cheese choice: The cheese you prefer is entirely up to you. I’m a sharp cheddar lover for these.
Wire rack for baking: Using a rack on a baking sheet ensures the heat gets around the entire taquito and making them crispy all around.
Taquitos are named for there size. Meaning, a 6-inch tortilla is traditionally used for taquito’s. If a larger tortilla is used, they are called Flautas and are made with wheat tortillas.
What I like to serve with taquitos is grilled salsa verde for dipping and of course guacamole, Esquites Mexican corn salad and of course a refreshing lemon-lime margarita.
If you’ve tried this Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAMand PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 3 cups (375 grams) crockpot Mexican shredded chicken
- 4 ounces (125 grams) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Place a rack inside a baking sheet.
- Take a tortilla and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of shredded chicken on the lower 1/3 of the tortilla closest to you, spread evenly.
- Top the chicken with 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it cheesy).
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the tortilla tightly. Secure with a toothpick. Brush the outside with oil. Set on the rack on the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat until all the tortillas are used.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove toothpick before serving. (see note for freezing instructions)
To freeze, bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and cool completely. Transfer to freezer bags or well sealed containers. They will keep frozen for 2-3 months. To reheat, 400°F (205°C) for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 488Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 104mgSodium 964mgCarbohydrates 83gFiber 5gSugar 0gProtein 45g