So while not exactly authentic barbecue, this brisket is pretty tasty. My general strategy for things I don’t know what to do with is either (a) make a stew of some sort or (b) stick it in the crockpot with other tasty flavors and home something magical comes out. Well, for the brisket, plan b was a great success. —Brooklyn Locavore
salt plus extra for initial rubdown
Fresh ground pepper
onion powder or minced onion
- Generously rub entire brisket with salt and pepper. Set in slow cooker pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients until smooth.Pour 2/3 of sauce over brisket, turning brisket so both sides are coated. Once done turning, pour the rest of the sauce over the brisket.
- Cook for 10 hours on low (you can do this part overnight; your kitchen will smell amazing when you wake up the next day!)
- Once done cooking, put the entire slow cooker stoneware into the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight (or all day, if cooked overnight) The fat will rise to the top and solidify. Remove layer of fat from dish.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Return brisket to stoneware and heat in the oven (uncovered) at 350°F for about 20 minutes, or until sauce starts bubbling. Serve immediately.